Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Back in the saddle again.

Sweet Jesus, I tell ya..... that month off did me a WORLD of good! I'm currently on my second 4-day trip after my hiatus and I'm still beaming. People at work are so sweet. They all hug me and ask how my December was; I didn't know they'd even notice I was gone! Someone even said "welcome back, Delia" on either Ground or Ramp freq in Cleveland today (it always makes my day when someone says hello to me on the radio). Of course, that's all I talked about on facebook is how HAPPY I was not to have to think about airplanes, commuting, contract negotiations, yet another year without a raise, no captain upgrade in sight, crappy schedules, and hanging myself with the escape rope at an outstation because work was making me so miserable.

How did I spend that month if I wasn't working? I spent some quality time with Sweet Cheeks, read about how much work was driving everyone else crazy on Facebook, drove to TN visit my Mom, rescued a cat from the shelter, started training for a half-marathon, spent Christmas with my Dad in AR, drunkenly watched what is left of Dick Clark on New Year's, and cooked something gut-busting and olfactory-orgasm-inducing almost every night!

It was the BEST month of my life!!

Alas, all good things must come to an end. I couldn't help laughing about my first trip back to work. The first Big Snow of the season in Cleveland resulted in canceled flights and my first commuter clause ever. So, my 4-day trip ended up being a 3-day. I thought of it as a bonus night at home. The next day, I couldn't get into base because of maintenance delays - I almost commuter claused twice in a row! What was really funny, the "Big Snow" in Cleveland was a dud. In fact, the temps climbed up into the 50's by week's end. Thanks, La Nina!

Still, when I finally did get a ride, I got excited when I heard those engines spooling up on the pushback. By the time I got to Cleveland, I was almost giddy. It felt good to be back! Even though I'm utterly exhausted (I forgot how tired you get on these schedules due to cumulative sleep loss), I  have a renewed appreciation for what I do. There is absolutely nothing else on this planet I would rather do for a living than fly airplanes.

This morning we took off out of Buffalo, NY at 0600. It was long before the sun made its appearance, and the moon was high in the morning sky. It was so bright and the sky so clear, I almost needed the sun-shade! We flew over Lake Erie in the quiet, smooth air, and I tuned into my favorite AM radio station - 740 out of Toronto, Canada (they play oldies and even some big band stuff). During night time, that station comes in crystal clear from Cleveland all the way to Hartford. This time, Roy Orbison crooned "In Dreams" as the moonlight glistened on the lake like someone had sprinkled silver petals all over the water. The people below me slept, the people behind me slept. The captain was awake, but he was quiet. I sipped my coffee and enjoyed this beautiful, peaceful moment that so few people get to enjoy - reassured that I am on the path that life meant for me to tread, and humbly grateful for the view along the way.

So, on the eve of Go-home day, I just want to say how thankful I am to 1) Have a job 2) Have a job doing something that I love 3) Have a job doing something I love with the absolute BEST people in the world. You guys and gals are my family.

Admit it.... we really put the "fun" in "Dysfunctional" too, right?

Now, I don't mean to say that I've forgotten about all the crap-tastic things that come with working for the regionals or the airlines in general. All that stuff I mentioned in the first paragraph is still there, festering like management's baby-eating souls. No doubt, you'll see another blog returning to the bitch-fest and yearlong "Airing of Grievances" (no need to wait for Festivus for that.... it can be Festivus every day!!). However..... for now..... gratitude and Go-Home day keep me smiling.

Fly safe, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment